A transmembrane protein (TM) is an integral membrane protein, which are embedded in the cell membrane. The transmembrane region, which directly interacts with the phospholipid bilayer and act as gateways to transport of specific substances across the membrane through signal pathways and cell metabolism. They regularly endure significant conformational changes to move a substance through the membrane. TM are highly hydrophobic, which aggregate and precipitate in water.
TM has been classified as alpha-helical or beta-barrels and topologically as single-pass or multi-pass molecules with orientation of N and C terminus. several diseases are related to the function of TM. Hence, the full-length TM with their structural moiety is need to be produced.
VLP based platform of GeneMedi produce the recombinant TM protein on the plasma membrane and carry an intact portion of the plasma membrane along with the membrane-associated proteins from the host cell. Unlike other techniques, Virus like particle-based TM protein involves no mechanical disruption or use of detergents and so the structure and conformation of membrane proteins are intact like native to induce and screen functional antibodies. The concentration of total protein is about 10 to 100-fold higher than other techniques.
The capsid virus like particle technology on transmembrane protein have the advantages such as
1. Production of full-length TM protein with native structure;
2. Higher protein concentration;
3. Higher immunogenicity due to their nano-scale structure:
4. Highly suitable for immunization/ELISA/SPR/BLI/cell experiment/CAR detection.
View the Knowledge base of virus like particles (VLP):
– Virus-like particles (VLP) Platforms for Developing immunogens, vaccines and drug carriers
– What is virus like particles (VLP)?
– GM VLPxTM Virus-like particles development platform
– Virus like particles (VLP) Expression platforms
– Virus like particles (VLP) as immunogens/antigens of transmembrane protein (TM)
– Virus like particles (VLP) for drug delivery
– Virus like particles (VLP) as vaccine
– Virus like particles (VLP) for drug discovery